From USCG http://www.uscg.mil/comdt/about_commandant/biography.asp
Admiral Thad W. Allen assumed the duties of the 23rd Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard on May 25th, 2006. Admiral Allen is a native of Tucson, Arizona and graduated from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in 1971.
Admiral Allen previously served as:
- Coast Guard Chief of Staff
- Commanding Officer, Coast Guard Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
- Chairman of the Department of Homeland Security’s Joint Requirements Council
- Principal Federal Official for Hurricane Katrina response and recovery operations in Louisiana, Mississippi
and Alabama, and
- Commander, Coast Guard Atlantic Area, Fifth Coast Guard District, and U.S. Maritime Defense Zone Atlantic in Portsmouth, Va., where he was the operational commander for all Coast Guard activities in an area of responsibility spanning five Coast Guard Districts, encompassing more than 14 million square miles and involving 26,000 military and civilian employees, and 27,900 Auxiliarists. He led the Coast Guard’s Atlantic Area forces in response to the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
In other flag assignments, Admiral Allen commanded the Seventh Coast Guard District, where he directed Coast Guard operations in South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and throughout the Caribbean. He was also assigned as the Coast Guard's Director of Resources at Coast Guard Headquarters, where he was responsible for formulating the Coast Guard's budget, developing long range plans and managing the Coast Guard's performance plan.
A specialist in operations both in the coastal and offshore environments, Admiral Allen served aboard three Coast Guard cutters: the Androscoggin, Gallatin and Citrus, which he commanded. His coastal command operational assignments include Captain of the Port/Group Long Island Sound, Connecticut; Group Atlantic City, New Jersey and LORAN Station, Lampang, Thailand; Search and Rescue controller in the Greater Antilles Section, San Juan, Puerto Rico; Intelligence Watch Officer at DEA/INS El Paso Intelligence Center, El Paso, Texas; Chief Budget Officer, Maintenance and Logistics Command Atlantic, Governors Island, New York; Deputy Project Manager, Fleet Modernization and Rehabilitation (FRAM) Project; and Assistant Division Chief, Programs Division, Office of the Chief of Staff at Coast Guard Headquarters.
He holds a Master of Public Administration degree from the George Washington University and received the Alumni Achievement Award in 2006. He also holds a Master of Science degree from the Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 2003, Admiral Allen was elected a National Academy of Public Administration Fellow.
Wife Pamela Hess Allen, of Champaign, IL, is the Assistant Dean for Student Services at the George Mason University School of Management. Together they have three grown children, Amanda, Meghan and Lucas and two grandsons.
Admiral Allen is the son of Clyde and Wilma Allen. Clyde Allen is a retired Coast Guard Chief Damage Controlman and World War II Veteran.